I've been gathering ideas from all over. One idea that I have always loved is making my own chalk board wall. We have these great craftsman-styled 4-panel doors and I thought, What a great place to apply my chalk board idea? Each Panel can be used personally... In a way similar to Pinterest and their categorizable 'Pinboards', I can use each of the 4 panels for organizing ideas and todo's.
I have aspirations to be very calm and patient with this project. I am positive that my undiagnosed A.D.D. will interup my progress at some point and focus me in four directions before completing this project!
Supplies needed:
1" Painter's Tape: $3
(1) QT-Valspar's Chalkboard Paint: $20
(2) 2" Foam brushes: $1
(1) box Chalk: $1.50
(1) reused plastic tub
Several plastic or paper grocery bags to use as drop cloths
Total Spend: $25.50...and I have a lot of paint left over!
Step 2: Carefully tape the edges of your painting area. Take time and diligence with this as it is the most important step to making this look really nice.
Step 3: Lay out a plastic or paper bag down and bring together all your supplies. Pour a small portion of paint into your reused (mustard salad) container. It is best to pour small amounts so as not to waste paint as well as keeping your usable paint from drying out.
Step 4: Begin painting your first coat. Use broad strokes and slightly lift the paint brush as you finish a stroke. By adding this little lift to the end of the stroke will keep from creating painting lines that may be hard to cover with future coats. Watch corners and edges for paint build up. As the coat begins to dry, take your foam brush and lightly brush away from the edges to smooth any goopy spots.
I'm really happy with how this turned out! Peewee even got a space for her busy life...
Step 4: Begin painting your first coat. Use broad strokes and slightly lift the paint brush as you finish a stroke. By adding this little lift to the end of the stroke will keep from creating painting lines that may be hard to cover with future coats. Watch corners and edges for paint build up. As the coat begins to dry, take your foam brush and lightly brush away from the edges to smooth any goopy spots.
Step 5: Apply additional coats until your desired finish. I needed to do about 4 coats before I had a slate black finish. Allow coats to dry for 30 minutes. Allow the final coat to dry for about 2 hours.
Step 6: Remove the painters tape.
Step 7: Using white chalk on its side, rub the surface from edge to edge and evenly coat the chalkboard surface. Wipe away with a dry paper towel.Viola! The finished Product!





No comments:
Post a Comment